52 Lists // No. 16 - Favourite Books


In no particular order...

The Woman In White – by Wilkie Collins
       I read this for a book club I am a part of, and absolutely fell in love with the story! I really want to read The Moonstone by this writer as well. Apparently, it is considered to be the first detective novel written in English.

The Harry Potter Series – by J.K. Rowling
       One of my new years resolutions was to read more this year. I decided to start off by reading all seven of the Harry Potter books. I totally loved the series, and only wish I had read it sooner!

The Book of Negroes – by Lawrence Hill
       This is another book club book. :) I felt so many emotions when I read this story. The way these beautiful human beings were treated, and the vile things that were done to them, is just so disturbing. I found the Canadian history part to be especially enlightening, since I had not realized that there actually is a Book of Negroes, that has all the names listed of the freed slaves that wanted to leave the US and move to Canada.  All together it was a hard, but definitely worthwhile read.

The Gum Thief – by Douglas Coupland
       This is a light, but quite funny book. I read it a few summers ago, and it was nice to read while lounging in the sun.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell – by Susanna Clarke
        Please don’t be intimidated by the size of this book . It is truly a wonderfully written book. I saw a review for this book on amazon that said, “if you like history, stories about magic, and like to read, this is the book for you.” :)

The Forgotton Garden – by Kate Morton
        I read this book a few years ago, and really enjoyed it. Kate Morton blends history with modern day perfectly and I couldn't put this book down.

Nicholas Nickleby – by Charles Dickens
        This is another large book, but again, I loved it. The characters in Charles Dickens stories are always varied, from the very sweet and saintly, to the absolute nastiest scum of the earth. This book has plenty of both and a little bit of everything in between. Very much a classic. 

The Help - by Kathryn Stockett
          I watched the movie before reading this book, and I still loved it. The book, of course, explained more of the back story, and had a few parts that the movie left out.



And now, a few books on my to-read list:

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie - Alan Bradley       
Eleanor Rigby - Douglas Coupland


What are a few of your favourite books?

Comments

Popular Posts