Agape...

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonour others, it is not self seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails... 1 Corinthians 13 4-8 NIV

I was thinking about this verse this morning, as I was getting ready for work. A little bit later I was checking facebook, emails, twitter etc. and one of my friends on fb had the above verses as her status.  I thought wow, I think God is trying to tell me something! I have a KJV bible on my phone, so I quickly looked up the verses on it as well to see what the wording was in that version. Instead of using the word love, the KJV uses the word charity, which I found interesting. Upon further study, I found that the greek word that was used was agapao or agape. Agape means one way love, a love that gives with no expectation of receiving anything in return. Agape is also used in John 3:16 - For God so loved (agape) the world, and in 1 John 4:8 - God is love (agape).

When Christ was asked what the greatest commandment was, Jesus replied "Love (agape) the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it; 'Love (agape) your neighbour as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." Matthew 22:37-40

So often, I find myself thinking well, if so and so, knew what my love language was then I would have a better relationship with them, or if my husband would do this or that for me, then I will feel like doing this or that for him. I am even more ashamed to say that I have these types of thoughts towards God. If He would just give me this desire (whatever it is I want at that moment), than I will love Him more than I do now. I will spend more time with Him, I will read His word more, pray more, thank Him more, etc.

This is the greatest commandment? And yet, I ignore it on a daily basis in my life... Dear Lord, I can't do this on my own. I need you, I need you every moment, of every hour, of every day!  Father, help me love as you love. Thank you for showering me with agape love. Thank you for giving yourself as an example of your love. Help me love with an agape love today, Lord.

Comments

Popular Posts